Monday, August 16, 2010

First False Alarm...

I had a few mild contractions while I was out with my sisters-in-law last night and didn't think much of it. They came over for awhile after we went out to dinner and after they left, I had a few more and they were kind of regular and getting a little more painful. I went to bed, but woke up around 11 with low back pain and more contractions, this time ranging from 2-8 minutes apart. I got up and paced for a bit, at which point Ben woke up screaming with a raging ear infection. (of course!)

I continued to have contractions the entire time I was getting Ben settled in our room with the air mattress and some Motrin. I timed them until well past 12:30 sitting next to him until he fell asleep. (2-5 minutes at this point) Somehow was able to sleep from 12:30 -2:30, until I was awoken again by a particularly bad one. Decided sleep was futile and wandered downstairs to pace, play on Facebook and time contractions.

They got worse and worse... finally at 4:30 after a couple of doozies that were mostly in my back and had me leaning up against the wall breathing through them, I called my mom to come over and sit with the boys so we could go to the hospital to get checked out. As painful and regular as they were, I had a feeling I'd end up sent home, but on the other hand, worried things would intensify quickly and I didn't want to get caught off guard.

At triage, they were three minutes apart and intense, but not so intense that I couldn't pay attention to the little monitor to see what number they registered. I was there about an hour or so until the on-call midwife came in and checked me. Only 1 cm and she determined the contractions, while regular and strong, were not lasting long enough at a time to do much good. She gave me the choice of walking the halls or coming home. Obviously, I chose home where I can eat and sleep and wait this out. She did say she didn't think I'd make it to my doctor's appointment on Wednesday, which is awesome. I am extremely jealous of the woman who came in right behind me with the "gross rupture" and was immediately admitted. Darn strong water bags of mine!

So, I'm at home now... still having VERY painful contractions, though they are not as regular... hoping they pick up today or overnight and we get this over with sometime soon! It's all seeming very familiar. (this is exactly how Simon's labor played out) I'm determined not to go the hospital only to get sent home again!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
blogger ate my comment... Anyways, I'm rooting for tomorrow, since that's what I voted for in the baby pool! Keep us posted!
 
Oh man - I was between the 17th and 18th so finally went with the 18th at 8:17. LOL. Super good luck! This is exciting!
Hope Ben's ear feels better asap.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?