Monday, August 30, 2010

Jonathan at Five Days Old...

We've had our newest little dude now for five days and here are our impressions so far.

I hate to say this, lest I jinx things... plus, it's still early. But, he does seem fairly laid back. He only cries when you take his clothes off. LOL. Lots of time for things like colic to kick in (please, God, no)... but so far, so good. He sleeps a ton. The nights aren't too too bad (which is not to say we are not totally exhausted). He's a fantastic eater, not such a fantastic burper and somewhere in the middle when it comes to spitting up. ;)

Lookswise, I still think he favors Ben, with a little of his own look thrown in. There are certain faces he makes that just take me RIGHT back to when Ben was a newborn. It's a little weird, actually. On the other hand, I think his eyes are a little more close to Simon's in their shape and size... and my guess is that he'll be built a bit more like Simon, though I guess that remains to be seen.
I have this vision of sort of a huskier version of Ben running around here in a year or so. LOL.
Here's a side-by-side of the dudes at similar ages...


He likes the pacifier. Argh. I was hoping to avoid it, but he REALLY REALLY likes it, unlike SImon who was always ticked off that no milk came out of it and thus, found it to be totally useless. So I've spent lots of time in the 2-4 a.m. hour playing the "stick the binky back in/Jonathan spits it out" game. (sigh)

The food situation.... I'm mostly pumping... but which I mean, pretty much exclusively at this point. I decided pretty quickly that the time he was taking to latch on and lollygag on my chest was better spent hooking myself up to the milking machine. I haven't given up entirely on feeding him that way, but it's quickly headed in that direction. It only takes 10-15 minutes for me to pump and, as of today, I already have a full supply that, at this point, far surpasses what he is eating in a day. I have known since Ben that I was a milk machine... at least this time around it's getting put to good use. My first goal is a full month. After that, I'd like to get through January, because we are flying during flu season and he'll be too young for a flu shot. After that, who knows... but so far, so good and I'm not finding it hard to fit in at least eight pumpings a day, which, again, as of today are generating about 30 ounces or so. (!) I'll be more than happy when I can drop the two in the middle of the night.

Gah. Moo.

So that's life so far with our littlest guy. I definitely didn't miss the crazy lack of sleep... but otherwise, having a newborn around is pure bliss. :) Hard to believe this is our last go round with this. Tom says we're done and I pretty much think we are... but I'm less sure than he is. I guess he'll have the final say in that if he decides to actually be proactive and DO anything about that. We shall see what the future brings... :o)

Labels:


Comments:
Do you have one of those hands free pumping bandeaus? If not, it's worth every penny. I got mine with Caroline and used it through pumping at work for all 3 kids up to a year. Let me "keep working" while I pumped. Lots of web surfing.....
 
Wow! I think pumping is so much more challenging than just breastfeeding. I hated pumping. I give you tons of credit for doing that around the clock!!!!

As for the pictures, I can't tell who is who but the top and bottom baby look soooooo similar to me! Holy resemblence.
 
oops! Forgot to label them! They are in order from youngest to oldest. :)
 
sounds like you are doing great. i too hated pumping but that was b/c i didn't get much. so good for you! i'm not so sure about your nickname for jonathon!! omelet is ummm, quite different!!!
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?