Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One Day at a Time...

I'm taking the pumping thing one day at a time, but like I said, I really would like to, at the very least, get through the end of January. We seem to be off to a great start and I am also VERY pleased to say one of the biggest benefits so far (other than not having to buy expensive cans of formula) is that I haven't had anything CLOSE to the crazy pain I had when I was waiting for the milk to dry up with Ben, nor when I was manually pumping with Simon.

It's just WORKING this time, which I'm certain has less to do with me and more to do with the fact that I actually am using the right equipment. (loving the super efficient double electric pump, even if I do feel a bit like a cow while attached to it) I learned SO much from my SIL who did this for 10 solid months for my niece and really have her to thank for the inspiration to give this a try. I am proud to say that Jonathan hasn't had any formula at all since the second day we were home.

Currently, I have 15 3oz feedings (which is what he taking as of yesterday afternoon) in baggies in the fridge... and all but I think three of them are from just today. Yep. I'm a cow all right. I get between 4 and 8 ounces at a time, depending on the time of day and how long between pumps. I am getting an amazing sense of satisfaction from this and now I'm just sorry I didn't know enough to do it right with Simon and didn't try at all with Ben. (sigh) Oh well... I can't change it now... but I am glad I can do this for my last little guy and am going to try to keep it up as long as I can!

Comments:
You're inspiring me! This time around, I'll also have an electric pump, and thought it went well enough with the manual pump, I think the electric will be easier. I'm still thinking I'll tell the hospital that I'm formula feeding though!
 
Yes, Electric pumps are the key to success.
Good for you!
But why are you pumping instead of nursing? Latching issues? Just wondering.
 
Nursing is so much easier than pumping, especially at night. Just lay your little guy next to you and let him drink while you sleep. It's the easiest way to get a full night's sleep. At least that's how it worked for me.
 
Eh... the pumping thing works for me. I was too inexperienced to get him to be efficient with the latching... it takes way less time for me to pump. (only ten minutes!) This is crucial with the other two running around. I still nurse him here and there... but at this point, he prefers the bottle and honestly, so do I.

As for putting him in bed with me. I'm way too paranoid to do that!
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?