Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Poor Baby....

Jonathan was a gassy, fussy mess from late afternoon until late evening last night. Ugh. I went so far as to dump all the milk I had pumped in the afternoon in hopes I wouldn't make it worse. Then we gave him a bottle of formula for his 8p.m. feeding (thought maybe it would kind reset things to put some "sensitive stomach" formula in his belly... ?) and after that we gave him milk from the 8p.m. pumped bottles on only. Something in there seemed to help because he was fine from that point... but holy cow was he uncomfortable before that.

So now I am left to wonder... was it the two cups of coffee? Was it the chocolate vitamuffin? That's all I had to eat before I pumped the first two bottles, which seemed to be the ones that caused the problem. But then again, I read that that much coffee shouldn't really have any effect on a baby and that the only foods that should ever bother a baby in breastmilk are dairy and that's only if they are allergic to dairy... so maybe it was just a fluke and he was just gassy because he's a two-week-old baby and that just happens sometimes? LOL.

I am hoping and praying it's not a pattern (as in, colic). But I don't think so because his crying wasn't that piercing, horrible colic cry that I remember from when Ben had colic. It also wasn't constant. He would fall asleep and then wake up suddenly, cry a little for a minute and fall back to sleep. So I tend to think his belly was just bothering him a little... but I can't help but be worried it will be a nightly occurrence.

Anyone have any thoughts on breastmilk and gassy babies? (I do know for sure it's not a hindmilk/foremilk thing...)

Comments:
Acid foods sometimes cause upset Erin, ie citrus, Tomatoes, grapes used to cause havoc with Genevieve.
The Vitamuffin, what is in that?? often here in the UK muffins contain cream, I know as I have made myself ill numerous occasions before I realised.
Gassy vegetables ie cabbage, broccoli etc can have an effect as can nuts if you have a nut allergy child.
 
Lettuce gave Abby horrible gas pains.
 
I'd be more willing to bet it was just an off day. If you see a pattern then yes, maybe something you're eating, but for now, just pass it off as a bad day.
 
Ditto Erika's comment. Sometimes T has a fussy day followed by a sleepy day.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?